Sunday, February 22, 2009

Diablo

Mount Diablo, near Danville/Benicia, has been one of the Hang IV sites that I have most looked forward to, and been intimidated by. I had heard so little about it beyond the "really tight 1000' LZ and few pilots actually fly there with any regularity. Dave, John, Brian and I set out to hit this site on a sledder day a month ago to get a feel for the mountain and LZ's before the season really kicks in.

We put a call out to local pilot Robert Moore for a site intro and he obliged us with the full tour of the LZ's and pointed out some of the cross country routes they use. Matt (above on launch), took us up and showed us the two main launches and the 1,000' bailout LZ (it is pretty tight, and requires commitment). The light wind dictated the tower launch and we all had nice cruisers down to a large LZ. The photo below was taken in flight (not sure who that was in front of me). The LZ is down at the base of the quarry.I was busy trying to take in all the features and info that our guides were giving us, so few pictures this time out. I can't wait to fly here again when it is really on. Thanks Robert and Matt!
Dave making the proper approach at our LZ of the day on the North side. After being anxious about a tricky launch, flight, and landing (all of which were great) I sprained my ankle walking my glider past the water basin seen here in the parking lot (Doh!). Looking forward to flying the West side (Juniper launch) on our next trip out.

No comments: